Re: jlug mailing list???

  Hi,

  I have resolved never again to use vim inside Pine for Japanese email.
At least three of the lines of my letter to JLUG got truncated at the
right margin, making complete gibberish of the first part of the
letter.  One more  strong incentive to switch to mule, I suppose.

  Since I inflicted that earlier missive on you all, I thought I might
forward some of the response I got.

1. Apparently the membership procedures which I had criticized as
ridiculously complex are necessary in order to establish their 'actuality'
as a non-profit corporation, which in turn was necessary in order to
get the domain name 'linux.or.jp'.

>   これは日本で非営利法人が「実在する」ということを証明するために必要だ
> からです。なぜ実在を証明しなくてはならないかと言えば、`linux.or.jp'と
> いうドメインを取得するのに必要だからです。
>   なぜ3種類であるかは、日本の一般的学会と関係を持てばわかると思います。

  Once a 'kanrishakai' always a 'kanrishakai', I guess.

2. Far from being a waste of bandwidth, the services they offer (automatic
email forwarding of documentation and kernel sources diffs) are what the
newbie users are really clamoring for.

>   世の中にはこういったものが必要な人が多いということを理解戴きたく思い
> ます。これらの「サービス」はあくまでも「タコ(newbie)」を相手にすること
> を考えているからです。

  Newbie users are clamoring for kernel source diffs?  Huh?

3. They don't have a mailing list (although they are thinking of having
one) because there are already Japanese Linux mailing lists.

>   以下の理由からです
> ・日本のLinux-MLは既に存在している
> ・fj.os.linuxというNGが既に存在している
>   まぁMLは近日中に立ち上げる予定で準備しています。

  Point taken.  I suspected this might be the reason.

  Speaking of which, anyone know what the traffic is like (and the
subscription address) for the above-mentioned mailing list?  Any good
alternatives to Mule for reliable J-email-handling.

Dennis McMurchy,
Tojinmachi, Fukuoka