Re: Power cut off before shutdown

Hi all,

This is for the 'Newbies' out there in case they run into the same
power outage problem I just had. (This is on a Slackware system - I
don't know if it's the same on Red Hat.)

As you recall I was trying to get e2fsck to work:

> You have to be in "single-user mode."  I have not found a good system
> for getting there using LILO flags, and "telinit S" definitely doesn't
> work for me in that situation

It didn't work for me either. It would kill all processes, get to
single user mode then ask for a run level. 1 and all other values
simply brought the box back to multi-user mode.

The trick was running etc/rc.d/rc.K. This bought it to single-user
mode.

e2fsck -p /dev/sda1 didn't work so at this point I was in a bit of a
pickle. Thank God for the Internet though, as an hour or so of
surfing with Alta Vista brought:

"Happily, the ext2fs filesystem type saves copies of the superblock at
``block group'' boundaries on the drive---usually, every 8K blocks. In
order to tell e2fsck to use a copy of the superblock, you can use a
command such as

# e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/sda1"

It worked!

> In your case life may be significantly harder since this is the
> infamous Peanut Brittle drive, as I recall.  (Given the state of your
> file system, I guess you know have a PB&J on toast, huh :-P)

Nope, it's back to peanut brittle:-)

Jim S.