Re: Newsreader

    Shige> I'm looking for a fast, Japanese character displayable
    Shige> newsreader that works well over a modem connection (33.6k),
    Shige> any suggestions?  I'll also be using the newserver provided
    Shige> by my ISP.

I haven't found anything I like better than GNUS for Japanese
newgroups.

If you want an "offline" newreader to avoid excessive connect time,
it's much harder.  I haven't seen anything that (a) does Japanese (b)
works as a reader (c) does not spew mal-formed posts all over Usenet
and (d) is free.  But then I don't generally need an offline reader,
so I'm not up on the latest.  I especially detest the (old) version of
mnews that is everywhere on Tsukuba-dai's Unix systems, so if you
decide to go with mnews (which is popular but I don't know if there's
a Linux port), make sure you get a new version.

Steve

--
                           Stephen John Turnbull
University of Tsukuba                                        Yaseppochi-Gumi