ghostscript 4.03 works with Canon BJC400J

  Hi all,

  I'm still flush with excitement about this.  My greatest disappointment
with the Canon BJC400J printer I made the mistake of buying last year has
been that there was no way I could get it to do anything sensible with
output from ghostscript.  I could only output your basic unformatted
monospace - and no kanji - so I really didn't feel like I had a printer
at all.

  No more.  Rising to Steve's challenge the other day, I took a look at
ghostscript 4.03, and when I found they had added support for Canon's
bjc600, I thought it would be worth building and testing out.

  Unfortunately, it didn't really quite work, and although some of the
print was actually legible for a change, I almost gave up, until it
occurred to me that maybe 'pr' was getting in the way somehow (I was
outputting a file to disk and then using pr to send it down to the
printer).  That was indeed the final hurdle!  I just printed out J.W.
Breen's conference paper "Building an Electronic Japanese-English
Dictionary", and it is beautiful!  Complete with kanji and screen-shots
and all sorts of typefaces.

  So, a big thanks to Steve again, for the initial inspiration.  And for
those of you stuck with the same printer, this does the trick:

	./gs -sDEVICE=bjc600 -sOutputFile=/dev/lp1  filename.ps

  And now all this "real man" Jtex talk is a lot more interesting, too.

Dennis McMurchy,
Tojinmachi, Fukuoka