Re: Web server and html woes

    Jim> OK, it compiles fine now, but I'm still getting the same:

    Jim> 'Premature end of script headers'

    Jim> message in errors_log whenever I try to use an imagemap, and
    Jim> SSIs still don't work. I guess I've made a (probably more
    Jim> than one) mistake somewhere else. <sigh>

    Dennis> Been writing a little html again, just the last few days,
    Dennis> and _truly nutty_ things are happening!  Doesn't seem to
    Dennis> make any difference whether I point Netscape 3.0 or Mosaic
    Dennis> 2.7b4 at it (or whether I go through my local NCSA httpd
    Dennis> 1.5 or look at the file directly).

I can't say much except "my stuff is running fine, I have no idea what
your problem is" without seeing the problem documents.  Jim, you
should be posting your conf files (conf/httpd.conf, conf/access.conf,
conf/srm.conf) and sample documents, including imagemaps; you've been
around and around this problem enough to justify the bandwidth IMO.
Dennis, you probably should also publish your problem docs; configs
shouldn't be needed since you've duplicated the problem with different
server channels and browsers.

If you have access to a 24-hour Web site (most GOL users do, there are
a few shell-only accounts, but I think even they can publish pages),
you can make a "private" page simply by not putting links in your
public pages.  Anybody who wants to can read it if they can guess the
name of course, but this isn't that private material that you'd care.
If that's not feasible or appealing, then tar | gzip | uuencode the
lot and send it on.

Of course it's generally not polite to send gobs of material,
especially since a lot of people are bandwidth-limited, at least at
home.  But I don't see what else you can do.

I at least am *not* bandwidth limited; if you want to send it to me
personally, I don't promise to take a look at it but I sure won't get
upset just because you sent it.

I have some other ideas on this problem (providing problem info
without wasting bandwidth) but let me think about it and if it looks
feasible I'll let you know.

Steve

--
                           Stephen John Turnbull
University of Tsukuba                                        Yaseppochi-Gumi