Re: Japanese text and email

  Hi,

  I seem to have no problem reading any Japanese text that comes to
me in my email, but when I recently included a little Japanese in
some email I sent, it could not be read on the other end.  Since
"the other end" in this case is a real newbie, forgive me if I use
this post as a little test.  Is the following readable?

子どもらよいざ出でいなむ伊夜日子の岡のすみれの花にほひ見に

                                                      良寛

  If it's not, where might the problem lie?  I'm running a standard
Slackware 3.0 system (+ JE).  I use Pine (which calls jvim as its
editor) and sendmail to handle my outgoing email.  When I have peeked
at files in sendmail's spool directory, the kanji still appear to be
intact.

  If the kanji and all are readable, let me know by private email
rather than cluttering up the list.  Thanks.

Dennis McMurchy,
Tojinmachi, Fukuoka