X-Windows frustration

Hi all you linux folks!

I have an IBM Aptiva H65 with the 5574-N17 monitor that comes along.
Using a slackware CD, I've got a good kernel installed and it works
fine and dandy. What DOESN'T work at all is X-Windows. I've looked
at faq's and help files all over, but nothing addresses the problem
I have (well, if it does, I missed it somewhere).

When attempting to start the X server, it comes back and tells me
that "None of the configured devices were detected." After that,
other lines say that no screens were found, and errno 111 makes
it unable to connect to the X server.

Probably I'm missing something very basic here, but my two Linux
books don't have any answer either. I'd really like to get the
X-Windows running soon, as our LAN starts up in a week or two.

BTW, I also wonder about the monitor settings, as this is a new
model. IBM has been less than helpful and won't provide me with
a real manual on the monitor. B-(

Any hints or ideas would be truly appreciated. Those that work will
merit cold beer the next time I get down to Tokyo!!

David Riley
Hachinohe Institute of Technology
88-1, Myo, Ohbiraki  Hachinohe-shi  031