(f)whois

Yo, guys--

I grabbed the sources for both BSD whois (from the FreeBSD project)
and for Linux fwhois (from Slackware 3.1 source).

It's quite obvious why fwhois doesn't work for whois.nic.ad.jp:

    /* from the fwhois source */
    if (!isprint(c) && !isspace(c))
        c |= 0x40;

so removing that (and some related code) should fix it.  I haven't
looked at BSD-style whois source yet, but the fwhois author complains
it won't compile under GCC.  Before I go any farther on this, I have
two questions.

(1) Has anybody found a satisfactory whois for non-ASCII NICs?  If so,
    I'll just get that one for now.
(2) Any enhancements you would like?  In particular, I do a lot of
    whois'ing in Japan (because I'm here ;-), but also the US because
    I respond violently (verbally, but nasty) to unsolicited email
    contacts, and so far most of those come from the US.  So I'm
    thinking about adding a .whoisrc which would specify a set of
    domains and the NIC to contact for those domains.

--
                           Stephen John Turnbull
University of Tsukuba                                        Yaseppochi-Gumi