re: [ncd,1656] Cookies

Form: Reply
Text: (9 lines follow)
This type of scheme is not new, it's been used by Prodigy and AOL before to
get even more info. or profiles about users.

If you don't want to get profiled, don't surf the net.  If you don't want to
get spammed, don't post to newsgroups.  There is no such thing as being
anonymous on the net.

Ted

Original text: (126 lines follow)
>From owner-tlug@example.com, on 7/11/96 1:48 PM:
Hi all,

This showed up in my mail yesterday and thought you might want to see it. I
checked my cookie and found nothing from them - read on....

<www.doubleclick.net>
>|  Read all about how they are going to make money giving us cookies we
don't
>| know about, collecting data on all World Wide Web users, and delivering
>| targeted REAL TIME marketing based on our cookies and our profiles.
>|
>| Pay special attention to the information at:
>| <www.doubleclick.net/advertising/howads.htm>
>|
>| You'll see that the folks at "doubleclick" make the point that this
entire
>| transaction (between their server and your machine) is "transparent to
the
>| user."  In plain English, that means you'll never know what hit you.
>|
>| So what's happening is, subscribers to the doubleclick service put a
"cookie
>| request" on their home page FOR THE DOUBLECLICK COOKIE.  When you hit
such a
>| site, it requests the cookie and take a look to see who you are, and any
>| other information in your cookie file.  It then sends a request to
>| "doubleclick" with your ID, requesting all available marketing
information
>| about you.  (They're very coy about where this information comes from,
but it
>| seems clear that at least some of it comes from your record of hitting
>| "doubleclick" enabled sites.)  You then receive specially targetted
marketing
>| banners from the site.  In other words, if Helmut Newton and I log on to
>| the same site at the exact same time, I'll see ads for wetsuits and
>| basketballs, and Helmut will see ads for cameras.
>|
>| If you log in to a "doubleclick" enabled site, and it sends a request for
>| your "doubleclick" cookie, and you don't have one, why each and every one
of
>| those sites will hand you a "doubleclick" cookie.
>|
>| Neat, huh?  And you can bet they're going to be rolling in the cookie
dough.
>| Me, I edit my cookie file each and every time I go to a new site.
(Despite
>| the dire warning at the top of the file, you can edit it with no adverse
>| consequences.)
>|
>| Oh, and one other thing.  If you edit your cookie file BEFORE you connect
>| "doubleclick," and then jump around at the site, you'll notice that they
>| DON'T hand you a cookie.  I probed the site pretty carefully, checking
the
>| MagiCookie file, and nothing happened.
>|
>| Until I closed Netscape.  The LAST thing the 'doubleclick" site did
was....
>| You guesed it.  They handed me a cookie.  So much for making the
>| client-server negotiation more efficient.  (In fairness, that cookie may
>| have been in memory until I closed Netscape -- I can't tell for sure.)
>| Scott Wyant
>| Spinoza Ltd.
>
>Note that recent versions of Netscape have an option to "show an alert
>before accepting a cookie" which can be turned on in the Network
>Preferences/Protocols menu.

Jim Schweizer                JPS Solutions
Consultant                Education Services
Kunitomi 988-18        Tel/Fax:81-(0)86-272-0019
Okayama, Japan 703   E-mail:schweiz@example.com
Family Page - http://www.harenet.or.jp/personal/schweiz/

Previous From: owner-tlug@example.com
Previous To: tlug@example.com
Original to: tlug@example.com
Attachment Count: 0
--$----Novell--Attachment----$

begin 777 ATTRIBS.BND
M0F5Y;VYD(%!A8VME9"!!='1R:6)U=&5S`([]",<^"@``````0F5Y;VYD(%!R
M;W!R:65T87)Y($1A=&$:`````!$```````0`#0"&`P``````````````````
M````````3W)I9VEN86P@=&5X=&X21@example.com`````````````=`,#`&X2;@,"``(`
M``!H``(``0`!`#0``````````@`U`#H2````````./\```````"0`0``````
M````35,@example.com%N<R!397)I9@``````````````````````````````./\`````
M``"0`0``````````0V]U<FEE<@``````````````````````````````````