Re: Documentation for Japanese extensions

On Thu, 27 Jun 1996, C. Oda wrote:

	"If you need Japanese, you might want to check out
	something like Run Run Linux (Nihongo)."

  For my money, "Run, Run, Linux" is bloody awful, and I wouldn't
wish it on my worst enemy.  It provides almost none of the necessary
information about the Japanese extensions, and what little there is
is often wrong.

  Fortunately, there is an excellent guide to the subject:

  "UNIX Nihongo Kankyo" Matsuda Koichi & Rekimoto Junichi,
  Asukii Shuppan Kyoku, 1995.  pp.270.  Y2200

  If you're setting up the Japanese extensions, get it!  It's pretty
up-to-date, covers just about everything, and is as intelligent and
well-written a computer book as I've ever seen in Japanese.  My God, it
even has an _index_ !

  While we're on the subject, anyone going for the Japanese extensions
should go with Wnn rather than Canna (unless you're really memory-impaired).
In my (limited) experience the conversion algorithm is vastly superior
with Wnn.  Anyone who hasn't discovered the delights of Mule (Emacs
with multi-lingual support) is in for a treat!  Japanese, Russian,
Greek, Thai, Arabic, Hebrew, you name it, it's all there (well almost -
there's no Tibetan or Sanskrit and I can't get the Ethiopian fonts to
work (really) ).  Mule (based on Emacs 19.28) was my first taste of
Emacs with full X support.  Isn't it lovely?

  And finally a question: has anyone had any luck installing the cWnn
Chinese conversion server?  It compiles fine but just won't quite get
up and running.

Dennis McMurchy,
Tojinmachi, Fukuoka