PPP still not up

I have change my kernel to v2.0, ppp-2.2.0f (compile with ppp option)
my ppp is still not up
I fired ppp-on script, it dial up got connected ...setting up ppp...it pulse
for a while and then hangup.... PPP call failed.

below are my configuation files
what is wrong with it....

#/usr/local/sbin/ppp-on
------------------------
#!/bin/sh

#
#	ppp-on
#
#	Set up a PPP link to Pacific Internet
#

LOCKDIR=/var/spool/uucp
DEVICE=modem
CHAT=/etc/ppp/pi.chat
NOTICE=/var/adm/notice
PPP_PID=/varrun/ppp0.pid
#
# end of user settings

if [ -f $LOCKDIR/LCK..$DEVICE ]
then
   echo "PPP device is locked"
    exit 1
fi

(
    stty 38400 -tostop

#the -v in chat below is to send output to syslog. Check
#/etc/syslog.conf for the location of syslog

    if (pppd connect "chat -v -f ${CHAT}" -detach debug modem crtscts
noipdefault defaultroute /dev/$DEVICE &)
	then
        echo "setting up ppp..." 1>&2
        sleep 50
        if [ -f ${PPP_PID} ]
        then
           #echo "news.pacific.net.sg" > /etc/nntpserver
           #Shows remote, local IPs
           tail -2 ${NOTICE} | grep "IP address" | tee /tmp/ppp.info 1>&2
    else

	   echo "PPP call failed" 1>&2
    fi
    exit 0
    else
          echo "PPP call failed" 1>&2
          exit 1
    fi
) < /dev/$DEVICE > /dev/$DEVICE

#/etc/ppp/pi.chat
#with my login name & password in place
ABORT "NO CARRIER"
ABORT BUSY
""ATZ OK
ATDT7739080
#ATDT8729100
#ATDT2519100
CONNECT ""
ogin
ssword

#/usr/local/sbin/ppp-off
--------------------------

#!/bin/sh

DEVICE=ppp0

#
# If the ppp0 pid file is present then the program is running. Stop it.
if [ -r /var/run/$DEVICE.pid ]; then
	kill -INT `cat /var/run/$DEVICE.pid`
#
# If unsuccessful, ensure that the pid file is removed.
#
	if [ ! "$?" = "0" ]; then
		echo "removing stale $DEVICE pid file."
		rm -f /var/run/$DEVICE.pid
		exit 1
	fi
#
# Success. Terminate with proper status.
#
	echo "$DEVICE link terminated"
        #rm -f /tmp/ppp.info
        #rm -f /etc/nntpserver