Windows '95 MS Office or Freedom

On 29 May 1996 TMatsumu@example.com wrote:

>   Nothing at all hatsukashii about W95 and MS office for productivity.  We
> use these combos, and we're very profitable and efficient, both in the US
> and Japan.

> programs run, we'd have some fun, but we'd spend the next 5 years re-writing
> ms word, ms project, and ms powerpoint for linux.  It's not that easy to
> convince IS departments who handle worldwide desktop issues to make the jump
> to linux ;)

Ted,
you make a good point here.  I concede that it would be more efficient
to standardize on W95 and MS office for many office functions.  However,
it would be less fun to work in such an environment for some people.

My previous post to Nori was a bit of a joke.  In reality, cross-platform
connectivity is still a messy hack.

TWICS is dedicated toward using TCP/IP or another protocol that can
be encapsulated inside of TCP/IP  to solve some of the problems
associated with telecommuting, virtual corporations, and virtual
work spaces.  Since we cannot control the OS of our customers, we
are trying to use cross-platform tools as much as possible.  If we
cannot solve these problems ourselves, we cannot sell this solution
to our customers.

While, the cross-platform office may be still a bit in the future, when
it does come, we will be there ready for it.

Justification for why I use Linux in the office --  not bad huh?

Regards,
Craig

Craig Oda 	craig@example.com		http://www.twics.com/~craig
TWICS - Japan's First Public-Access Internet System,
   TWICS - IEC Building, 1-21 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160 JAPAN
Main Reception: 03-3351-5977	Fax: +81-3-3353-6096
Customer Service: 3351-5481   Corporate Sales/Support: 3351-8452
PGP Public-Key  http://www.twics.com/~craig/pgp
Key fingerprint =  12 40 82 A8 DF DD DD 30  BB 0E 26 22 E0 D8 F2 87