Re: Adaptec AHA-2940 and Linux

On Wed, 29 May 1996, Andrew N. Nishigaya wrote:

> Which is something that bothers me.  Is there an easy clean solution using
> platforms of your choice?  Sure there is INTRANET and its web-based
> "solutions", but with 99% of the office using Word, Access, Excel and
> Powerpoint, what is a Linux user to do?  Since we did not have a lot of
> resources to build an integrated system using various platforms, we went
> with Win95 as it was pretty much plug and play and point and click and
> everyone was networked, sharing files, printers, and schedules.

We have a small office where people use the
following as their main work station:
	1) HPUX  UNIX
	2) Kanji Talk 7.5
	3) Kanji Talk 7.1
	4) Linux   (used by company president - policy setter  ;-)
	5) Windows '95
	6) Windows 3.1

We have an integrated network where everyone uses the same printer
over a common ethernet.  All files are transferred using TCP/IP
using either FTP or e-mail.  Documents are ported using a system
of filters to convert to a standard format such as HTML.  Various
functions are centralized on a UNIX HP 9000 server and X sessions
are used on Macs, Linux, HPUX, etc.  This allows staff the freedom
to choose the platform that is most efficient for them while
still retaining system integration across a wide spectrum of
office functions.  TCP/IP is a cross-platform protocol that can be
used on a wide variety of machines.  Why not use it?

As the next
step, do you plan to only accept customers who use Windows '95
since that is the only platform 99 percent of your
employees know how to use?  <joke> <joke>   hahahahah.   :-)

Regards,
Craig - Linux user in the office and at home and seeking to integrate
	more into his daily life.

p.s.   Nori, I still think you're a nice guy anyway.

*        See TWICS at LAN Expo '96 on May 29-31 at Sunshine City.      *
Access Beejima, Japan's Virtual Community: http://www.twics.com/beejima
Craig Oda 	craig@example.com		http://www.twics.com/~craig
TWICS - Japan's First Public-Access Internet System,
   TWICS - IEC Building, 1-21 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160 JAPAN
Main Reception: 03-3351-5977	Fax: +81-3-3353-6096
Customer Service: 3351-5481   Corporate Sales/Support: 3351-8452
PGP Public-Key  http://www.twics.com/~craig/pgp
Key fingerprint =  12 40 82 A8 DF DD DD 30  BB 0E 26 22 E0 D8 F2 87