Re: Netscape 3.0b4 **ELF**

    Craig> I just noticed that the new Netscape v30b4 for Linux is an
    Craig> ELF binary.  I'm not sure if this is the first ELF release
    Craig> or not, but I am glad that they have it in ELF.  Since I
    Craig> just installed RedHat 3.0.3 and ELF XFree86 3.2E I should
    Craig> be on my way to having a full ELF system and free up some
    Craig> RAM.

They've been ELF since early v2 betas ... but statically linked.  Free
up RAM?  You must be joking:

turnbull:~/mail$ ls -l /usr/local/lib/netscape-3.0beta4/netscape
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     wheel     4509132 May 14 21:40 netscape*
turnbull:~/mail$ ls -l /usr/local/lib/netscape-2.02/netscape
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     wheel     4026372 Apr 30 12:46 netscape*

Note that 2.02 *is* statically linked (and therefore any ELF-capable
kernel will run it, even if you don't own any ELF shared libs) because
I can run it, but 3.0b4 is dynamically linked because I can't run it.
No matter how you slice it, Netscape has nothing to do with your free
RAM---except to eat it up.

I think I'm either going back to Mosaic or forward to HotJava ;-)

--
                           Stephen John Turnbull
University of Tsukuba                                        Yaseppochi-Gumi