Re: Redhat Installation

On Sat, 25 May 1996 LNJPTYO1.MDARCY01@example.com wrote:

> Have any luck with your install?

I just sucked down the entire 3.0.3 distribution and installed
it from a seperate hard disk partition.  It looks good so far.

The configuration files are different from Slackware and Debian so
I am going to have to do some changes.  I notice that Redhat places
the X11 config files in  /etc/X11/XF86Config
I'm used to having it in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config
I'm also used to having the rc startup files in /etc/rc.d
I'm not sure where Redhat puts them because I installed Debian over
Slackware and then installed RedHat over Debian.

I may keep RedHat for a while.  There are a few things that I don't
like about it, but I'll try it out for a while.  RedHat appears to
create a more bloated system then Debian does.  There is no clear
explanation of what each package does before installation, so
mid-level users like me end up installing more than necessary.
The upgradibility of RedHat looks good.

I'm in the process of upgrading XFree86 to 3.1.2E because my Mach
64CT chipset on my Intel Atlantis motherboard requires at least
XFree86 3.1.2D and that version is going to die in 6 days.

Once I finish installing X, I'll give glint a try.

Thanks,
Craig

*        See TWICS at LAN Expo '96 on May 29-31 at Sunshine City.      *
Access Beejima, Japan's Virtual Community: http://www.twics.com/beejima
Craig Oda 	craig@example.com		http://www.twics.com/~craig
TWICS - Japan's First Public-Access Internet System,
   TWICS - IEC Building, 1-21 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160 JAPAN
Main Reception: 03-3351-5977	Fax: +81-3-3353-6096
Customer Service: 3351-5481   Corporate Sales/Support: 3351-8452
PGP Public-Key  http://www.twics.com/~craig/pgp
Key fingerprint =  12 40 82 A8 DF DD DD 30  BB 0E 26 22 E0 D8 F2 87