Re: X Background Diversions?

Wow!  Thanks for all of the responses.  Looks like I am not alone
in tiring of a gray background.

xv does indeed work well loading into the root window.  I also came
across xloadimage which seems to be a small utility with just that
single purpose in life.

>The best that I`ve seen so far is
>            xearth
I have to agree with Leo that this is a winner.  It is very close to
the display I want... I just need the current positions of some of
the amateur radio satellites superimposed.  While Nori's plan of
periodically making images and stuffing them into the root does have
a certain elegance (and an excellent wastage of processor cycles)
perhaps I can rip off the relevant part of xearth and stuff it into
SatTrack.  For now, I'll settle for knowing where it is daylight.

Thanks again everyone.  I appreciate all the pointers.

Jim