Re: tlug-digest V1 #205

 > From: turnbull@example.com (Stephen J. Turnbull)
 > Date: Wed, 22 May 96 16:00 JST
 > Subject: Re: X Background Diversions?
 >
 > At 09:49 AM 5/22/96 +0900, "jwt" == Jim Tittsler wrote:
 >
 >     jwt> 2. How do I put a picture in the root window behind the login
 >     jwt> prompt (of xdm?)?
 >
 > xdm offers the ability to run a startup program, usually login(1).  I
 > think that for security reasons it's not allowed to be a script (or
 > maybe it's not allowed to have arguments in the call?), but there's no
 > reason it can't be

This is a FAQ. From the x-faq/part2:

 Subject:  34)  How to I have xdm put a picture behind the log-in window?

R5/R6 users can specify the "setup" script that xdm runs by changing the
entry in the xdm-config file (usually in /usr/lib/X11/xdm) to name a
different script; the sample script distributed with the X distribution
simply runs xconsole.  See the SETUP PROGRAM section of the xdm man page in
R6 for precise details.

Pre-R5 versions of the xdm client could be spoofed by in changing xdm's xrdb
resource in the xdm-config file to run a program to change the background
before loading the resources; for example, your /usr/lib/X11/xdm/xdm-config
file may add the line
        DisplayManager.0.authorize: false
to permit unrestricted access to the display before log-in (beware!) and also
        DisplayManager*xrdb:    /usr/lib/X11/xdm/new.xrdb
where that file does something (for all connections) along the lines of:
        #!/bin/sh
        #comes in with arguments: -display :0 -load /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xresources
        /usr/bin/X11/xsetroot -display $2 -bitmap /usr/lib/X11/xdm/new.bitmap
        /usr/bin/X11/xrdb $*
Substitute xloadimage or xv for xsetroot, to taste.  Note that this is a
general hack that can be used to invoke a console window or any other client.

[Thanks to Jay Bourland (jayb@example.com), 9/91]

 Alberto Tomita Junior     URL=http://www.ishiilab.dnj.ynu.ac.jp/~Alberto

 YOKOHAMA NATIONAL UNIVERSITY             tel: +81-45-335-1451  ext. 2906
 Div. of Electrical & Computer Eng.       fax: +81-45-338-1157
 156 Tokiwadai, Hodogaya-ku              home: +81-45-743-3680 (tel & fax)
 Yokohama 240 JAPAN                       phs:    050-644-3680

 INTERNET: alberto@example.com             COMPUSERVE: 70410,67