Re: Linux on Laptop

    Mark> Having problems getting Linux installed and working on a
    Mark> Compaq LTE 5100.

Compaqs have problems, somebody sent me a BIOS munging program that
helps he said.  Will send it to you under separate cover later.

    Mark> I am using a PCMCIA card for an ethernet connection, but the
    Mark> cardmgr for the pcmcia cards will not load properly due to
    Mark> an error incurred when loading the pcmcia module on
    Mark> start-up. insmod reports an error "kernel_version needed,
    Mark> but can't be found". I have tried to load other modules with
    Mark> the insmod -f command but I get the same message. Is there
    Mark> some place that insmod looks for the kernel version?

Yes, on the kernel and the module itself.  (The /usr/lib/modules/x.y.z
dodge is a convenience for people, the kernel still checks the module
itself.)  insmod -f is not reliable, sometimes it works, sometimes it
fails utterly, sometimes it leaves with an unstable system.  I would
avoid it if I were you.  Even for "installation only"---I always
forget to fix the "just to get it running" kludges once it is running.

    Mark> To add to the problem, the modules are probably compiled for
    Mark> a 1.2.13 kernel, and I am having to use a 1.3.59 kernel

Forget it, no way, give up now.  Modules use all kinds of internal
kernel functions.  I had lots of problems with the 1.3.59 kernel,
too.  The 1.3.7x kernels were better, the pre2 kernel is working well
for me.

    Mark> because the other will not recognize the PCI bus. Thus I
    Mark> thought the insmod -f would avoid the version control issue,
    Mark> but maybe not.

    Mark> I have a bare bones RedHat 3.0.3 installed, i.e. base and
    Mark> network software only, no compilers or development. Reason
    Mark> being I am having to install from floppies.

I understand and sympathize, but I think your best bet is to get a
development system installed.  Can you kermit it across (eg under
MSDOS) or something like that?

--
                           Stephen John Turnbull
University of Tsukuba                                        Yaseppochi-Gumi