Re: X Background Diversions?

    Rainer> Ahh yes, I remember one such program called XWatchWin (or
    Rainer> something like that).  It allowed a person to look at
    Rainer> another's complete X screen.
[snip]
    Rainer> Actually it was a pretty sleazy program to use,
    Rainer> almost made me feel like I was invading someone's privacy.

Well, I always do "xhost -; xhost +my_other_host" ;-)  If you're doing
it to a good buddy who's done a "xhost +rainers_box", well, I don't
see the harm.

    Rainer> If the originating window is minimized will
    Rainer> it still work?

I don't know.  I think it depends on the program.  If the program is
aware that it's minimized (the window manager should tell it), and
stops sending events, then it won't work.  But many programs don't
know that they're minimized, and just keep tootling happily along....
Of course, if you do the reparenting trick and simply suck up all the
events sent to that window, then the x-filtering program can tell the
window to close, and the originating program will be none the wiser.

An interesting problem.  I wish I had time to play with it.

Funny, though.  My original draft of my reply had a comment about "all
your xterms turn into pictures of my cat."  But I really don't think I
could do that....

--
                           Stephen John Turnbull
University of Tsukuba                                        Yaseppochi-Gumi