Linux on Laptop

Having problems getting Linux installed and working on a Compaq LTE 5100.

I am using a PCMCIA card for an ethernet connection, but the cardmgr for the
pcmcia cards will not load properly due to an error incurred when loading the
pcmcia module on start-up. insmod reports an error "kernel_version needed, but
can't be found". I have tried to load other modules with the insmod -f command
but I get the same message. Is there some place that insmod looks for the
kernel version?

To add to the problem, the modules are probably compiled for a 1.2.13 kernel,
and I am having to use a 1.3.59 kernel because the other will not recognize the
PCI bus. Thus I thought the insmod -f would avoid the version control issue,
but maybe not.

I have a bare bones RedHat 3.0.3 installed, i.e. base and network software
only, no compilers or development. Reason being I am having to install from
floppies. I want to get the ethernet PCMCIA card up and running and then I can
install the rest of the software via ftp or NFS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

Mark A. D'Arcy
Electronic Data Systems, Ltd.
C/O General Motors Japan, Ltd.
Yebisu Garden Place Tower, 27th Floor
4-20-3 Ebisu, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo 150 JAPAN

Tel:  +81-3-5424-2833
Fax: +81-3-5425-2689

E-Mail: ovmail1.kz3g8p@example.com