Debian 1.1

The beta version of Debian 1.1 is out.  I read about the modules,
the cool installation, the ties with the FSF and got caught up in the
drama when Ian Murdock stepped down as the project leader and Debian
broke official ties with the GNU project.

I decided to check it out an cleared about 800 megs of space for a
new installation.  Six floppy disks are required.  There is no facility to
do an fdisk on it for hard disks where the MBR has already been messed up.
I had to do this from the Slackware floppy boot and root disks.  I got
Debian installed.  However, it is flaking out whenever I try to
access the ethernet interface.  I will keep trying and report the
results to everyone.  More information on Debian and the 1.1 beta
release can be found at http://www.debian.org

Incidently, I found Java Development Kit 1.1 for Linux on the KDD ftp
site in Japan.  I've installed it with a new Apache server on my Linux
box for fun and excitement.  I'm also running beta XFree86 R6 patch 6 (I
think) which was required to get the Mach 64 video chipset imbedded on the
Intel Atlantis motherboard to work.

The Intel Atlantis is quite nice and pretty good value  since it
comes with crystal sound and Mach64 chipsets on it.  It is supposed
to be good till 200 megahertz, but I'm not sure about this since I
installed the 166mhz one and haven't had the opportunity to get my
paws on a 200 mhz Pentium Pro   yet.....

It has PCI and I am going to buy PCI SCSI for it.  Any recommendations?
I also need a fast hard disk.  There is 32 megs of RAM in it so I figure
a fast HD would be appreciated by the system.  Remember, I'm cash poor
so I can't buy anything too exotic!

Is there any trick that I can do to allocate system DRAM to processor
cache (dream on huh?) or any way to make better use of my RAM.

Basically, I'm getting to the stage that I want this sucker to fly.

Regards,
Craig

*        See TWICS at LAN Expo '96 on May 29-31 at Sunshine City.      *
Access Beejima, Japan's Virtual Community: http://www.twics.com/beejima
Craig Oda 	craig@example.com		http://www.twics.com/~craig
TWICS - Japan's First Public-Access Internet System,
   TWICS - IEC Building, 1-21 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160 JAPAN
Main Reception: 03-3351-5977	Fax: +81-3-3353-6096
Customer Service: 3351-5481   Corporate Sales/Support: 3351-8452
PGP Public-Key  http://www.twics.com/~craig/pgp
Key fingerprint =  12 40 82 A8 DF DD DD 30  BB 0E 26 22 E0 D8 F2 87