Re: I'm in!

The POPmail client I mentioned had a whole article in the April issue
of Linux J.  The client is called XF-Mail, which is, obviously, an
X-Windows based popmail client.  If you're interested but don't get
LJ, the URLs are

http://Burka.NetVision.net.il/xfmail/xfmail.html
    Home page for XF-Mail itself.  Download xfmail-0.3.tar.gz (source).
http://bragg.phys.uwm.edu/xforms/
    Home page for the XForm toolkit.  Get bxform-075.tgz (binaries).
ftp://ftp.cc.gatech.edu/pub/linux/libs/libXpm-3.4f.tar.gz
    Xpm library.  Includes precompiled libraries.   Georgia Tech is a
    Sunsite mirror, and the one that I use.  YMMV since my connections
    are JUnet and GOL, both of which have T3 or better connectivity to
    the US.  ftp.iij.ad.jp is a sometimes badly out-of-date Sunsite
    mirror in Japan, there may be others.

I strongly suggest checking out the LJ article, though, because
installing libraries is a pain in the butt for newbies (lots of silly
little things can go wrong; for example, there's a program which sets
up the DLL cache called ldconfig which has no analog under Messy-DOG---
omit that step and the kernel never finds the library), and the author
gives nice accurate cookbook instructions, along with lots of little
checks along the way (like how to find out if libXpm is already
installed so that you don't need to do that one).

PS.  Jim--you need to do something about the confuseguration of Pine
on your machine if you're going to use it to send mail.  First, did
you name your machine wormhole, or is it registered in the DNS at
harenet?  If it's not in the DNS at harenet, you may find people
sending mail to it and getting it dropped on the floor.  I'm sure it's
not in the or.jp domain:

 by po.harenet.or.jp (8.6.12+2.5Wb7/3.3W8-po.harenet) with SMTP id RAA11822
 for <tlug@example.com>; Sun, 5 May 1996 17:05:00 +0900

The above isn't a problem if people don't send mail to you at
"wormhole".  But you should fix Pine to advertise your real email
address in the from line:

From: Jim Schweizer <schweiz@example.com>

I gave bad advice earlier; since you're using a dynamic PPP account,
you *won't* be able to easily use Smail or Sendmail to *receive* mail.
To do that, you will need to get your provider to set up an MX record
in the DNS, and they will need to do some fancy footwork to hand off
mail to you on the fly, since your IP address is different every time
you log in.  Demon Internet does it in England, and a couple of
high-quality inexpensive providers do it in the US.  But it ain't easy
and I suspect it's not available in Japan.  So toriaezu you should
stick to POPmail, either the XF-Mail or another client.  Ask harenet
customer service, then see if there's a Linux version available for
the clients they recommend.  (For more details on general aspects of
Internet management, see "Choosing an Internet Service Provider" in
the April LJ (same issue).)

--
                           Stephen John Turnbull
University of Tsukuba                                        Yaseppochi-Gumi