Re: PPP setup

Hi all,

I'm back - kind of like, "They're here..." (from Poltergeist)

>Ditch the 1.3.18 kernel in favor of 1.2.13, which should also be
>available, unless you need a specific feature in the 1.3.x series.  An
>early 1.odd.x kernal can be very risky and unstable.

I know this is a clueless question, but if I ditch 1.3.18 do I have to go
back and redo everything it took to get X Windows up and running?

>    Jim> 1. man pages aren't being made available.

>Try "echo $MANPATH" (to make sure the MANPATH is set) and then "man
>/usr/man/man1/ls.1"

MANPATH appears to be set but "man /usr/man/man1/ls.1" returns:

No manual entry for /usr/man/man1/ls.1

>Also "man -M /usr/man ls"

Nope, I get:

line ?/? (END)

>    Jim> 2. when I try pppd chat -v etc I get the message "Sorry - PPP
>[snip]
>    Jim> CONFIG_NETDEVICES=y
>    Jim> ---snip--
>    Jim> # CONFIG_PPP is not set
>
>Yer hosed since you don't want to rebuild the kernel.

I didn't say I don't want to, I said I don't know how to. There's a
difference. God, I hope nobody's archiving this...

>Look around in the various kernels that are supplied with Slackware
>and see if you can find one that has the PPP driver in the kernel.
>
>    Jim> Other tidbits of info are: netstats reports all systems go,
>    Jim> ping localhost is no problem and Seyon dials out of X Windows
>    Jim> without a hitch so the modem is OK.
>
>Yep, you just need a kernel that does Windows^H^H^H^H^H^H^HPPP.  Ouch.
>Bad joke.  Baaad Steve.  Sorry.

No problem... at least I hope your're laughing with me and not at me. I'm
actually enjoying this - MS-windows was getting to be quite a bore

>Slackware provides lots of kernels in the "base" series of disks and
>in the "q" series.  Whether what components they have are
>well-documented is another question.

Jeeesss, I finally found a kernal that mounts the CDROM right and now I have
to go and change it...Life's not fair.

BTW on a different subject, one of the reasons I'm banging my head against
this wall is so I can get the Java development kit without shelling out more
yen to Mr. Bill. In the mean time though, I still hope some of you might
want to contribute an applet (or two) to the TLUG homepage. If someone wants
to replace the 'stars' with ??? Golden Week's a good time to .....

Thanks,

Jim S.