PPP setup

Hi all,

Hope you're enjoying Golden Week. I'm still fighting a losing battle with
Slackware 3.0 kernal 1.3.18 on a Compaq Prolinea.

I've got 2 problems which I haven't been able to solve (even with some
expert help -thanks you know who!):

1. man pages aren't being made available. I see links to them in /var/man
and /usr/man et el but typing man ls returns nothing. Did I forget to make
the man pages or something? In /etc/profile there is:

export
MANPATH=/usr/local/man:/user/man/preformat:/usr/man/:/usr/X11/man:/usr/openw
in/man

2. when I try pppd chat -v etc I get the message "Sorry - PPP is not
available on this system" Hogwash - pppd etc is in /usr/sbin and the docs
are all in /usr/doc/ppp so the files are there anyway. Any ideas? This
happens whether I'm logged in as root or usr. I tried "/sbin/modprobe ppp.o"
but got the message "Can't open dependancies file
/lib/modules/1.3.18/modules.dep (No such file or directory)

In /boot/config it says:

CONFIG_NETDEVICES=y
---snip--
# CONFIG_PPP is not set

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If the answer is you have to
rebuild the kernel it'll start a panic - me not the kernal;-) cause I don't
know how to do that -yet!

Other tidbits of info are: netstats reports all systems go, ping localhost
is no problem and Seyon dials out of X Windows without a hitch so the modem
is OK.

Happy holidays,

Jim S.