Kernal panic

Hi all,

It's been awful quiet on this list lately....

I've been trying to get Slackware 3.0 to run on a Compaq Prolinea 4/33s.
It's set up with the factory HD as C and a additional HD on D. I've been
trying to install Linux to D but keep runing into a kernal panic as soon as
it gets to the partition check. It says:

Partition check:
  hda: hda1
Kernal Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:01

and then it hangs - it does this with every kernal I've tried so far. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jim Schweizer                JPS Solutions
Consultant                Education Services
Kunitomi 988-18        Tel/Fax:81-(0)86-272-0019
Okayama, Japan 703   E-mail:schweiz@example.com
URL http://www.harenet.or.jp/personal/schweiz/homepage.htm