Re: [berman@example.com: LINUX on Alpha info]

Form: Reply
Header: Adaptec
Text: (64 lines follow)
George,
  I'll do my best to answer a few of your questions.

     1. What's the deal with Linux, Alpha, and ATM? Can you do some-
        thing like video-on-demand stuff high-speed multimedia-
        networking with Linux/Alpha/ATM (?) as the server?

Yes, you can do video-on-demand and high speed multimedia, quality of
service (guaranteed bandwidth for shared voice/video/data networks, and
classes of users), and by design, ATM is full duplex, switched, scalable
technology, all of which Ethernet is not.

First I'll address the state of Linux and ATM as I know it:
  There exists a Linux ATM API for the ENI NIC I believe, with an ATM Linux
mailing list and some web reference sites.  Fore has or had some API PVC
code available, other vendors have discussed opening up their API's but have
not yet.

Alpha and ATM:  Digital and Adaptec have developed ATM drivers for NT on
Alpha, and most high speed networking with Alphas are using Adaptec ATM NICs
and NT.  If Alpha users revert or turn to Linux in a big way, give me the
data and I will encourage our engineering dept. to do something about it for
Linux users.

     2. Why is the Ethernet connection such a waste? Is it because of
        the maximum possible 100 MHz bandwidth of Ethernet vs. the
        155 (?) MHz bandwidth of ATM? Is the Ethernet card really
        such a waste to the power of 64-bit Linux OS + 128-bit/256-bit
        Alpha machine?

ATM does not have any maximum.   Although 25.6 and 155 (OC-3) are common
inexpensive adapters for PC and Sbus systems, higher speed adapters exist
now, and will be more affordable in the future.  Most ethernet hubs and NICs
are still 10 mbps, as you move from 10 to 100 mbps Fast Ethernet, VG or
other ethernet *based* technologies, collisions, and ability to switch and
go full-duplex (send and receive full speed simultaneously) become
impossibilities because of the underlying technology.

     3. Do you have an access to cheap ATM hardware? If so, how much?

My company sells 25.6 and 155 PCI and Sbus adapters.  The 25.6 are very
affordable, under Y 6000, and the 155 adapters come in 2 types for each bus,
MultiMode Fiber, and UTP.  These are also very affordable, and well under Y
100,000.  This is about 1/4 the price of any of our competitors.  In Japan,
we don't sell direct, you would have to buy through NEC, Fujitsu, AtomNet,
Nihon Unisys, NTT, OKI, Hitachi, Fuji-Xerox, DTC, Softbank, Nissho
Electronics, Nichimen, or other distributor.

     Well, I'm new to Linux and everything, and still learning about
UNIX, computers, and networking... but I really wanna do something
crazy - something "otakkipoi" - like configuring a multimedia-capable
LAN in my house. Just for fun, you know. ;-)

     Any advise, help, encouragement, warning would be greatly
appreciated.

This is very common in America, just get faceplates everywhere there is a
phone jack, and add a UTP category 5 connection, and have access to a closet
where you can replace Ether or ATM hubs and switches as needed.  If you want
to go long distances, like wire up your neighborhood or setup a LAN with
your mom in another country, you'd be better off with fiber.

Ted

Original text: (58 lines follow)
>From owner-tlug@example.com, on 3/27/96 2:08 PM:
To: tlug@example.com
Cc: george@example.com

On 26 Mar 96 11:18:00 EST
   Ted ( TMatsumu@example.com ) wrote:

> Should anyone acquire an Alpha and want to use ATM, get in touch
> with me.
>
> It would sure be a waste to connect this up with Ethernet.

Hi, Ted!

    Pardon me if I ask these questions without researching some basic
info first ( ' crashed my Linux box and can't net surf... ), but here
goes...

     1. What's the deal with Linux, Alpha, and ATM? Can you do some-
        thing like video-on-demand stuff high-speed multimedia-
        networking with Linux/Alpha/ATM (?) as the server?

     2. Why is the Ethernet connection such a waste? Is it because of
        the maximum possible 100 MHz bandwidth of Ethernet vs. the
        155 (?) MHz bandwidth of ATM? Is the Ethernet card really
        such a waste to the power of 64-bit Linux OS + 128-bit/256-bit
        Alpha machine?

     3. Do you have an access to cheap ATM hardware? If so, how much?

     Well, I'm new to Linux and everything, and still learning about
UNIX, computers, and networking... but I really wanna do something
crazy - something "otakkipoi" - like configuring a multimedia-capable
LAN in my house. Just for fun, you know. ;-)

     Any advise, help, encouragement, warning would be greatly
appreciated.

Cheers,
George

$@%8%g!<%8(J $@%@!<%Q%H(J      George M. Dapat II