re: ISDN uses for Linux [was something unrelated ;-) ]

Form: Reply
Header: Adaptec
Text: (33 lines follow)
re:
	That must have been a while ago.  We've upgraded.   :-)   Connection
	is pretty fast now.

How fast is "pretty fast" ...?

	The stuff on the intranet is connected by 10base2 so the
	limiting factor is the bandwidth from the office to my computer.

If you will be doing anything graphics intensive, your 10base2 can easily be
a limiting factor, even assuming you had one of Steve's brothers infinitely
fast CPU's, and even if you extended the 10base2 to your home.

Some of the apps I create are windows music videos with stereo sound, if you
wanted to watch just one of these 320x240 videos it is 1.5 x the bandwidth
of 10base2:

e.g. 320x240 x (bytes of color depth, assume 1 for 256 colors) x (xx) frames
per second (recommend 15 to 24)

plus stereo sound:

44,100 samples x 2 bytes resolution (16 bit) x 2

Add all that up, and you get about 15 megabits per second, per video.  So
even without the bottleneck of ISDN or client CPU, server CPU, server disk
i/o, you have gone over the limits of ethernet to watch and hear non-full
screen video.

Ted

Original text: (34 lines follow)
To: tlug@example.com

On 26 Mar 1996 TMatsumu@example.com wrote:

> You once said Twics is 256K, so to me, that sounds like you and one other
> graphics intensive user can be-on line, and your dialup customers are SOL
?

> No?  Doshite?

That must have been a while ago.  We've upgraded.   :-)   Connection
is pretty fast now.

Anyway, I mainly want to run stuff off of our intranet (local LAN), not the
Internet.  The stuff on the intranet is connected by 10base2 so the
limiting factor is the bandwidth from the office to my computer.
The procesor on my desk in the office is considerably faster than
the one I have at home, so I was thinking of processing stuff
on my desk and displaying the stuff at home through an X-Server.
For example, compiling those darn java apps would be much faster.

Regards,
Craig

Craig Oda 	craig@example.com		http://www2.twics.com/~craig
TWICS - Japan's First Public-Access Internet System,
over a decade of fostering virtual communities in Japan.
   TWICS - IEC Building, 1-21 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160 JAPAN
   Phone: 03-3351-5977	Fax: +81-3-3353-6096

Previous From: owner-tlug@example.com
Previous To: tlug@example.com