re: ASUS P/I-P55SP3AV

Form: Reply
Header: Adaptec
Text: (16 lines follow)
Craig,
  After buying 2 Asus motherboards, and having a lot of trouble, I wholly
recommend paying Y 35000 (gorai) and getting a genuine Intel Motherboard,
with Intel docs, and Intel Triton chipset, with no on-board video, or sound,
but with working PCI slots.

This is Y 6000 more than what you paid,k but you can't get your video and
sound working, and who knows about those PCI slots.  Have you run a PCI card
that requires PCI bridge support (e.g. twin channel PCI scsi like AHA-3940
in the Asus?)

The Intel rig will also get you some clout when it comes to tech. support.
It's not a name brand computer, but it's a notch nigher on the clone ring...

Ted

Original text: (40 lines follow)
>From owner-tlug@example.com, on 3/25/96 10:33 PM:
To: tlug@example.com

This ASUS board runs for about 29,000 yen in Akihabara and has
onboard accelerated video chips and onboard sound blaster Pro
compatible audio chipset.

Running with a 166mhz Pentium, I've encountered the following problems:

   o  Mitsumi ATAPI Quad Speed CD-ROM not functional.  Speed does not match
   o  SIMMS must be used in pairs of two which made current SIMM unusable
   o  SiS 6205 onboard video not usuable as X-Free86 does not support
	it.  Chips make use of 2MEG of system DRAM which is not possible
	under Linux
   o  ESS 1788 16 bit Audio chipset not supported due to use of
	proprietary ASUS bus which Linux incorrectly detects
	as a PCI bus.

The board is functional now with the additional of an add-in PCI
video card, Mitsumi proprietary CD-ROM driver, etc.   If I buy a
sound card, it will be humming along.

Anyway, just thought I would let people know.

When is the next meeting?  I got a call from a woman from Finland asking
about it.

Regards,
Craig

Craig Oda 	craig@example.com		http://www2.twics.com/~craig
TWICS - Japan's First Public-Access Internet System,
over a decade of fostering virtual communities in Japan.
   TWICS - IEC Building, 1-21 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160 JAPAN
   Phone: 03-3351-5977	Fax: +81-3-3353-6096

Previous From: owner-tlug@example.com
Previous To: tlug@example.com
Original to: tlug@example.com