Re: [berman@example.com: LINUX on Alpha info]

George wrote about SPARCLinux:
>     Will it it be a 64-bit OS too?

I believe the current version is only 32-bit.

>     Let's say you really have a need or just wanna have fun and play
>with this monster machines, how much does it cost to get one? I've
>seen the Red Hat Linux for Alpha CD-ROM/Manual combo in CD-ROM
>Paradise Shop in Yokohama and costs about 7,500 yen - a little bit
>expensive if you've gotten used to the 2,500 yen CD-ROMs for Intel

But cheaper than the US "list price" of US$99.

Platform in Akihabara is selling 233 MHz Alpha AXP PCI33 motherboards
for Y160,000, with 1MB of cache costing another Y47,800.  A complete
digital Multia (166 MHz) is Y198,000.  These prices seem reasonably
competitive with the US.  (Platform also sells Sun and SGI machines,
but at more Japanese prices.)

Craig wrote:
>to take about 5 minutes to compile the 4 meg kernel source.
>Geez, the kernel source is getting huge.  The source took about
>30 seconds to download on the net, so I figure that the processor
>speed is still the limiting factor for worker efficiency.  The

Gee, by that reasoning since it would take me 22 minutes to download
(best case, assuming it is already on my local provider and I'm
not waiting for any network delays)... I only need a mid-range
486.  :-)