Re: [berman@example.com: LINUX on Alpha info]

On Mon, 25 Mar 1996, Jim Tittsler wrote:

> are modestly active.  I still haven't decided which one I should
> theoretically get to counter Craig's theoretical Power PC.  :-)

I'm now thinking of a faster Pentium Pro.  When I was working
on the 166mhz one in the office, it was okay, but still seemed
to take about 5 minutes to compile the 4 meg kernel source.
Geez, the kernel source is getting huge.  The source took about
30 seconds to download on the net, so I figure that the processor
speed is still the limiting factor for worker efficiency.  The
reason I'm thinking of the Pentium is that the Alpha and Sparc
Chips would have less precompiled binaries.  Also, for a guy
like me, wouldn't I have more problems compiling apps on
Alpha and Sparc?   There are so many people with Intel platforms
that I just use a premade make file now.

Regards,
Craig

Craig Oda 	craig@example.com		http://www2.twics.com/~craig
TWICS - Japan's First Public-Access Internet System,
over a decade of fostering virtual communities in Japan.
   TWICS - IEC Building, 1-21 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160 JAPAN
   Phone: 03-3351-5977	Fax: +81-3-3353-6096