Re: Installing LINUX

   Date: Sat, 17 Feb 1996 22:22:30 +0900
   From: Darren Cook <darren@example.com>
   Sender: owner-tlug@example.com

   Hi!
   I successfully installed Linux (slackware v3.0)... kind of. It feels a lot
   more complicated than Microsoft operating systems - they tend to hide lots
   of the decisions from you, or group them in broader categories.

   I got confused with partitioning the drive, but worked it out in the end. I
   gave Linux the last 300Mb of a 1Gb SCSI external drive, and the very final
   16Mb as a swapfile.
   Once past partioning, it was much easier - just choosing from menus.

   I made one mistake however - I had to choose a kernel package. I moved the
   hilight bar over the one I wanted (sbpcd1 - BTW, there was also a sbpcd2 -
   what is the difference?), and pressed Return. Of course, what I should have
   done first is press Space to select it... There seemed to be no way to go
   back, so although everything else worked, and I can boot Linux, I cannot get
   to the CD drive.
   I think I also put the modem and mouse on the same COM port (COM1), though I
   have not tested either yet.

   Is there a simple way to correct these mistakes, or would it be simpler to
   reformat the partition and reinstall? No Jim - don't tell me anything to do
   with recompiling my kernel. I am still a beginner at this, and rather
   disoriented in this UNIX environment.

   A few more questions...
   1.When it boots up it says:

   Configuring Adaptec at IO:334 IRQ 9 DMA priority 6
   No BIOS32 extensions present. This release still depends on it. Sorry.

   Is this an error? I installed on the SCSI drive, so it must be able to use
   my Adaptec SCSI card okay.

   2.I installed two sets of kernel sources: 1.2.13 and 1.3.20. Do I need both?

   3.I am using a Japanese keyboard (standard 106 key layout). Which is the
   correct mapping file? I bought the CD with Japanese extensions on, but the
   Japanese translation enclosed is just a straight translation (it basically
   says "If you do not have a US keyboard use KEYMAP to choose a suitable
   keyboard" - no Japanese specific information!).

   Thanks in advance.
   Darren.