Java Speed Increased

I got this from Java World.  It is not yet relevant to Linux, but
I'm still trying to get a body of info for the next meeting (Java
on Linux).

In addition to the Debugger, Borland will soon release its
AppAccelerator, a new just-in-time (JIT)
compiler. With AppAccelerator, programmers using Windows 95/NT for Java
development can achieve a
five to 10-fold performance increase in Java applications and applets.
Even greater increases in speed
can be expected when executing computationally intensive code.

"Having just-in-time compilers for Java is essential for delivering
high-performance, cross-platform
execution," said Marc Andreessen, co-founder of Netscape. "We're excited
about and supportive of
Borland bringing this technology to market so quickly."

Announced is Java support for Version 3.0 of the Microsoft Internet
Explorer Web browser (the current
alpha release of that version does not yet support Java). The browser
will include a built-in just-in-time
(JIT) compiler to improve execution performance.

Craig Oda 	craig@example.com		http://www2.twics.com/~craig
TWICS - Japan's First Public-Access Internet System,
over a decade of fostering virtual communities in Japan.
   TWICS - IEC Building, 1-21 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160 JAPAN
   Phone: 03-3351-5977	Fax: +81-3-3353-6096