Re: geo_comp_addr

On Fri, 15 Mar 1996, Jim Tittsler wrote:

> This appears to be two separate problems.  If your filesystem is
> damaged beyond e2fsck's ability to repair it, I reckon you are
> in for reinstalling or restoring it.

I think that the file system was damaged a bit when I was first
building the computer, but I think that e2fsck might be able to
solve the problem.  Let me explain the whole story.  I was using
a 90mhz Pentium with a gigabyte motherboard.  I upgraded to
a 166mhz chip and at the same time changed my motherboard to
an ASUS.   The
gigabyte worked fine.  It had a Triton chipset, etc.  The ASUS uses
SIS chips.  I wanted to try the ASUS because it had accelerated video
chips and a SoundBlaster Pro compatible audio chipset built into the
board.  Me thought, hey this is pretty cool.  I still think it is
pretty cool if it would work.  I won't be able to use the SIS video
chips until XFree86 starts supporting it, but the audio should be
no problem once I compile my kernel for audio support.  I assumed
that the video would not work when I bought the board since it
uses system DRAM as the video memory.  (Me thought this was pretty
cool when I bought the board).  Anyway, I can wait on the video
because I'm using a spare video card.

However, I can't wait on the hard drive.  I simply swapped the
hard drive from the Gigabyte main board with Intel Triton chips
to the ASUS main board with SIS chips.

> The second problem is that LILO needs to be able to record the
> absolute postion of all of the hunks of the kernel so that it
> can simply load them all into memory.  One or more of the pieces
> of one of your image files lies out beyond the 1023 cylinder
> boundary.
>
> 1.  Can't you move your bootable images to a partition that is
>     located below the 1023 cylinder boundary?

This sounds promising.  I'll give it a try on Monday.

> 2.  You could boot with LOADLIN instead of LILO.  It uses MSDOS
>     to read in the boot image, and so is not constrained by the
>     BIOS limitation.

This too sounds promising.  Thank you.  (I'll add thank you oh
great one if it works.)

Regards,
Craig

Craig Oda 	craig@example.com		http://www2.twics.com/~craig
TWICS - Japan's First Public-Access Internet System,
over a decade of fostering virtual communities in Japan.
   TWICS - IEC Building, 1-21 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160 JAPAN
   Phone: 03-3351-5977	Fax: +81-3-3353-6096