Re: geo_comp_addr

>I can now use the CDROM.  I've run e2fsck on the filesystem and my
>hard disk is still fried.

>I keep getting this error from lilo:
>
>geo_comp_addr: Cylinder number is too big (1026 > 1023)

This appears to be two separate problems.  If your filesystem is
damaged beyond e2fsck's ability to repair it, I reckon you are
in for reinstalling or restoring it.

The second problem is that LILO needs to be able to record the
absolute postion of all of the hunks of the kernel so that it
can simply load them all into memory.  One or more of the pieces
of one of your image files lies out beyond the 1023 cylinder
boundary.

1.  Can't you move your bootable images to a partition that is
    located below the 1023 cylinder boundary?

2.  You could boot with LOADLIN instead of LILO.  It uses MSDOS
    to read in the boot image, and so is not constrained by the
    BIOS limitation.