Sound Card/1GB Dos

Hi All,
1. After partitioning my Disk for Linux , I noticed
   that Dos/Windows was still saying it had a 1GB Disk
   My friend and I were arguing over this so we came up
   with a simple solution , buy another Disk ;->>
   He reformats the Windows Disk a lot . Safer for me

2. Sound Cards
   I noticed the Slackware had no sound supported . So
   I recompiled the new kernel(back up the Old Version)
   Copied it on a floppy , ran rdev . Linux 1.2.13 is
   on Disk /dev/sdb . Restarted my computer . I noticed
   the extra SoundBlaster Options . That was OK
   Then when I got the root prompt . bang . I could
   do nothing . the console was Dead .
   I`m wondering what could be wrong . Could it be
   something to do with the Old Boot version of LILO ?
   Anyone any ideas ? If you want more info I`ll send it on

thanx
leo