Re: Java Q??

    Leo> Hi All I got the YYdrasil(?? long name) Winter 1996 internet
    Leo> Collection last weekend(6 CDs) (Gave up on infomagic)

    Leo> Before I start clearing my Disk of Windows/Linux and
    Leo> repartitioning I want to be able to run Java I noticed the
    Leo> Slackware version on the CD is 1.2.13 ..

Yggdrasil used to do its own distribution.  I know two people who had
problems and switched to Slackware.  Maybe Yggdrasil has given up and
done the same?

There never was and never will be a Slackware 1.2.13.  Slackware is up
to version 2.3.0 as of September 1995 (my copy of the Infomagic
disks).  1.2.13 is the kernel revision.

    Leo> Has this version a problem with Java Software ?

Don't know, that's the kernel I'm running right now but I haven't had
time to try Java (except via Netscape) yet.  In theory there should be
no problem, the Java Development Kit (JDK) is just a compiler suite,
and if the Netscape interpreter works, so should any other Java
interpreter.

HOWEVER, Java is by design a multi-threaded language.  So you will
need support for threads.  This can be done by adding a special
library (presumably what Netscape and the Linux version of the JDK do)
or in the kernel (which was rumored for recent releases of the kernel,
but I haven't followed that thread).

If worst comes to worst, you can use the JDK and check the results via
Netscape.

--
                            Stephen J. Turnbull
Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences                    Yaseppochi-Gumi