Re: Successful Japanese Printing

On Fri, 16 Feb 1996, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Hell if I know ... I've never seen PS level 3.  I don't think it
> exists.  The various EPSF kinds of things are up to 3.0 or beyond, but
> the Postscript language itself is only Level 2.  Most of the new PS
> operators (at Level 2) seem to be related to color and such; I can't
> see why something like MS-Word would be using a standard that isn't
> possibly be available to all users yet and doesn't apply to most
> wordprocessing tasks.
>
> And by the way, Adobe's Home Page doesn't mention Level 3.
> Anywhere....

Stephen,
you are right about PostScript Level 3.  I quickly glassed at the
header and saw:

%!PS-Adobe-3.0
%%Title: Microsoft Word - WIN95PPP.DOC
%%Creator: PSCRIPT.DRV Version 4.0
%%CreationDate: 02/15/96 11:55:37
%%BoundingBox: 13 13 599 780
%%Pages: (atend)
%%PageOrder: Special
%%Requirements:
%%DocumentNeededFonts: (atend)
%%DocumentSuppliedFonts: (atend)
%%DocumentData: Clean7Bit
%%LanguageLevel: 2
%%EndComments

Which made me think that it was PostScript Level 3, but the second
to the last line indicates that the LanguageLevel is 2.

Of course, this doesn't help me that much because I can't use this
 PS-Adobe-3.0 thing with the version of gs I have.

I looked at a doc I wrote in LaTeX 2.09 and dvips and it shows the
following at the top:

!PS-Adobe-2.0
%%Creator: dvipsk 5.58a Copyright 1986, 1994 Radical Eye Software
%%Title: WebHostContract.dvi
%%Pages: 6
%%PageOrder: Ascend
%%BoundingBox: 0 0 596 842
%%DocumentPaperSizes: a4
%%EndComments
%DVIPSCommandLine: dvips WebHostContract.dvi
%DVIPSParameters: dpi=300, compressed, comments removed
%DVIPSSource:  TeX output 1996.02.08:1421
%%BeginProcSet: texc.pro

Craig Oda 	craig@example.com		http://www2.twics.com/~craig
TWICS - Japan's First Public-Access Internet System,
over a decade of fostering virtual communities in Japan.
   TWICS - IEC Building, 1-21 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160 JAPAN
   Phone: 03-3351-5977	Fax: +81-3-3353-6096