net access info. request

Form: Reply
Header: Adaptec
Text: (12 lines follow)
Craig, Arthur, and all other Japan net providers:
  Sorry for wasting bandwidth on the J/Linux list here, but I know a lot of
you folks are net providers in your non-linux time ;)

Please provide us with quotes on 64kb net access, and secondarily: costs to
provide housing (virtual and/or physical) of an adaptec.or.jp web site.
Also user ISDN pricing.  Thanks.

Ted

Fax: 03-5276-9364

Original text: (49 lines follow)
To: tlug@example.com

On Tue, 13 Feb 1996, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> I'm fairly sure that Linux does not use the Mach microkernel, and I'm
> also fairly sure that Linux cannot use the Mach microkernel because
> although the Mach kernel is freely distributable for research
> purposes, it is encumbered with a no-commercial-use license.  You can

>From the OSF Research Institute,

The OSF Research Institute has made significant improvements and
extensions to
the original CMU Mach3.0 microkernel, and the result, named OSF MK, is
still available for free. The
latest versions of OSF/1 are based on OSF MK but are encumbered by
commercial licenses.

The OSF MK kernel is freely available but the OSF/1 server is encumbered by
commercial licenses including the SVR2 Unix license.

Although we are convinced that multi-servers are the way to go to produce
high-quality operating
systems on top of Mach, this strategy was not applicable in our case
because we started from an
existing monolithic kernel and we wanted to maximize the code reuse ratio
to make it easier to track
new releases of Linux and leverage the Linux community effort.

------------------------------

So, there is a Mach-like micro kernel there, but it is a single-server
and not a multi-server...  oh well.  Interesting anyway.

Regards,
Craig

Craig Oda 	craig@example.com		http://www2.twics.com/~craig
TWICS - Japan's First Public-Access Internet System,
over a decade of fostering virtual communities in Japan.
   TWICS - IEC Building, 1-21 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160 JAPAN
   Phone: 03-3351-5977	Fax: +81-3-3353-6096

Previous From: owner-tlug@example.com
Previous To: tlug@example.com