Linux and Unicode

I'm in the process of updating my home system and was looking through
the docs in the kernel source.  I scanned through unicode.txt in
/usr/src/linux/Documentation and found this:

   The Linux kernel code has been rewritten to use Unicode to map
   characters to fonts.  By downloading a single Unicode-to-font table,
   both the eight-bit character sets and UTF-8 mode are changed to use
   the font as indicated.

which is quite nice.  Hmm, when did this happen?  Does this affect a
person at a user level?

In an effort to learn more about unicode I read on.  The docs lead into
a rather in-depth discussion on Klingon, yes, the one from Star Trek.
There was even a web site.

	http://www.kli.org    (Klingon Language Institute) home page

I went further into the depths of the Klingon language and recalled
seeing Klingon during the installation of LaTeX and TeX.  The director
of the language institute is Lawrence M. Schoen, Ph.D.
Their newsletter is a full-blown academic journal registered with the
library of congress.  One of the group's projects is to restore the
complete works of Shakespeare to the "original Klingon" language.
They have completed restoration of "Hamlet" into Klingon.  Was
Shakespeare a Klingon?

Anyway, aside from my original question on unicode, I wanted to
mention that I'm still interested in getting together English
documentation on Japanese-specific parts of Linux.  For example,
Stephen Turnbull mentioned that he was preparing a description of
printing Japanese on an English laser printer with GS.  Wasn't
he?  :-)  sorry Stephen, I tried to forget it.. ;-)  I'm too busy
to coordinate a project like this, but would be interested in
helping.  Just an idea to keep in mind for the next meeting on
January 28th.

Regards,
Craig

Craig Oda 	craig@example.com		http://www2.twics.com/~craig
TWICS - Japan's First Public-Access Internet System,
over a decade of fostering virtual communities in Japan.
   TWICS - IEC Building, 1-21 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160 JAPAN
   Phone: 03-3351-5977	Fax: +81-3-3353-6096