Linux experience and jobs, was [Re: Developing Games under Linux]

On Thu, 11 Jan 1996, Norihide Kise wrote:

> Finally, there is one serious question I have to ask. Learnig these
> hardware/software stuff takes *a lot of time*, but do you consider that
> learning those stuff is going to get me a job in the near future? What
> I'd like to know is that am I wasting my time to learn not so marketable
> programming skillsor knowledge? For instance, if I learn some programming
> skills under Linux, and if I'm able to use that knowledge for other
> environments, it would be great, but if it doesn't, I'll have a serious
> problem. Before I invest lots of time, I have to know about this point.

Linux is basically UNIX.  UNIX programmers get paid around 10 million
yen a year in Tokyo if you go the corporate route...  I'm not
sure about game programming, but straight C programmers are in
demand.  If you go the SysAd route, get to know the security
issues of UNIX.   When do you graduate?

If you work as a SysAd you would have to customize stuff for the
users of the system, possibly X-Windows if you work for a trading
company, possibly Windows... depends what they use.  Mac and Windows
programmers are pretty easy to find and many of them have uneven skills.
For example, assembly code game programming knowledge will not help
you get a job unless you work as a games programming or some other
type of design office.

I guess you need to think about what type of company you hope to
work for and if you want to work as a programmer, sysadmin,
etc.  I could probably give you more info if I knew what type of
job you were looking for.

Regards,
Craig

Craig Oda 	craig@example.com		http://www2.twics.com/~craig
TWICS - Japan's First Public-Access Internet System,
over a decade of fostering virtual communities in Japan.
   TWICS - IEC Building, 1-21 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160 JAPAN
   Phone: 03-3351-5977	Fax: +81-3-3353-6096