fast pentiums and oh yea, that keyboard question

On 10 Jan 1996 TMatsumu@example.com wrote:
> I've done all the tweaks you mention, and I still want a 200MHz Pentium
> Plus.  I've programmed for a living also, and I could never imagine settling
> for a 2 hour compile if a faster system could do it in 10 minutes.  Time is
> Money.  Faster is more Money.  Faster is Better.

Hey, let's be honest here.  Faster is more fun.  dakara faster is better.
Faster is not having to wait those extra minutes for the kernel to
compile so you can find out whether the new patch fixed your problem.
Anyway, in the interest more fun, I'm thinking of upgrading my home
system, but want to go for either the 166mhz or the 200 mhz just
so I can make JWT jealous.  I figure he'll shrug off with "oh
I just bought a new 133mhz."  But if I say, "Jim, I just bought
a 200mhz Pentium system" then I won't be jealous of his satellite
dish.  BTW a reporter friend of mine wants to see Jim's home
Apartment Area Network.  I told him about it and he is planning
to write an article on LANs.  Jim is that okay?
Oh yea, my question, is that I heard that the 166mhz were going
to be much better than the 150 mhz due to the structure of the chip.
Is this true?  Also, when do these 200 mhz machines come out?
I can wait.  This is just a "fun" system, so I don't need it right
now.

Re: the meeting on the 28th

Let's set the meeting place and time now.  Jim?  daijobu??

Re: that Japanese keyboard question a while back

I'm reading Run Run Linux which is pretty cool.  I wish I had it
a while ago when I was first getting nihongo running under Linux...

Anyway chapter 7 is on Japanese env settings.  I'll do a rough
translation of the stuff on keyboards..  I'd put it in
the original Japanese,
but I started this note under an English-only terminal...

changing keymaps

the install directory of the JE extension disk set contains the
file jkeytbls.tgz which when used with a kernel above 1.1.54
allows the use of Japanese 106 keyboards.  This works under
shell and X.

Example 1 Japanese 106 key
	# loadkeys defkeymap j106-d

Example 2 inputs with capslock and left ctrl
	# loadkeys defkeymap cl2c-d

Example 3 106 key with capslock and left ctrl keys swapped
	# loadkeys defkeymap j106-d c12c-d

Example 4 Japanese 106 key with the "Hankaku/Zenkaku" key set to Esc
	# loadkeys defkeymap j106-d k2esc-d

Edit the /etc/rc.d/rc.keymap  file to have the the settings come
up automatically at boot.

The authors for Run Run Linux are Hane Hideya, Yamada Akira, and
Abe Hironobu.

Yiikkees.  I better get offline and sleep....

Craig

Craig Oda 	craig@example.com		http://www2.twics.com/~craig
TWICS - Japan's First Public-Access Internet System,
over a decade of fostering virtual communities in Japan.
   TWICS - IEC Building, 1-21 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160 JAPAN
   Phone: 03-3351-5977	Fax: +81-3-3353-6096