Re: system questions

On Thu, 4 Jan 1996, Norihide Kise wrote:

> planning to use my 486 for DOS, Win95, and nextworking using Linux since
> I'm interested in networking.

You probably will find this at school, but I found two books pretty
fun:

	TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume I The Protocols by W. Richard Stevens

	The Design and Implementation of the 4.3BSD UNIX Operating
		System

There is source code for the tools and of course you have the Linux
kernel source so you can play around with the net and get an idea
of what its like.  If you hook up the 486 and 586 with ethernet you
can run a mini TCP/IP net at home and then really do wild things
with the net.  You might even want to run Linux on the 486 in a
small partition.  Then you can practice hacking into your
own systems by replicating various conditions.

If you want to learn about networking, Linux is the NetGod of
the OS world.

Regards,
Craig

Craig Oda 	craig@example.com		http://www2.twics.com/~craig
TWICS - Japan's First Public-Access Internet System,
over a decade of fostering virtual communities in Japan.
   TWICS - IEC Building, 1-21 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160 JAPAN
   Phone: 03-3351-5977	Fax: +81-3-3353-6096