Re: system questions

Hello, Ted. This is my comments to your suggestion.

> Do you have $1600 total, or $1600 to upgrade with?

I have $1,600 total. I'm not interested in upgrading my old 486. I'm
planning to use my 486 for DOS, Win95, and nextworking using Linux since
I'm interested in networking.

> If you have $1600 total, how about something like this:
>
> $500 Intel Pentium CPU, motherboard, case, 1.44mb floppy
> $500 16MB RAM
> $300 SCSI controller and gig SCSI HD
> $300 monitor, sound board, and SCSI cd-rom
>
> Now in the unlikely chance you can't find these prices new, then consider
> used or mail order.

Well, I don't think I can find a machine having the configuration you
mentioned above. Even mail order companies don't have the machine at that
price since I've checked the newest "Computer Shopper" magazine. Anyway,
if you know any company selling used memory SIMMs, let me know.

> Finally, Intel is always going to reduce their CPU prices.  Read about
> "Moore's law" in "The Road Ahead", basically it states that every 6 months,
> prices will drop in half, as the technology of PC hardware advances.  Do you
> need a computer now?  Or do you need one in 6 months??

I need a new machine now, but what I meant in the last message is that since
*every* Feb., May, Aug, and Nov. Intel reduces its CPU prices, if Intel is
going to reduce the CPU prices a lot, I should wait till next month.
Because I'm a student and don't make much money, any infomation which
saves me some money is very helpful.

Sincerely,

Kise