Re: tlug-digest V1 #103

 > From: Ted Matsumura <tedm@example.com>
 > Date: Wed, 3 Jan 1996 01:35:04 -0800 (PST)
 > Subject: Re: fwd: Re: I'd like to know what hardware is the best for Linux..

 > If you can afford it, get a Pentium 90 or faster, not because of the low
 > voltage, but for the speed.  Do get EDO and pipeline cache if you can
 > afford it.  Not sure where someone got the idea P90 doesn't need it.

There's another option: buy a Pentium 75 and overclock it to run at 90.
It's a 3.3V chip, so overheating is not a problem, and the performance
increase is significative. I did it in my machine at home, and it has been
running fine for over a year now.

I saw some benchmarks of EDO memory, and the performace gain over conventional
memory was of only 1%. Pipeline burst cache could make the difference.

 > Intel Triton motherboards come with Flash memory, if you require
 > upgradability, review the flash upgrade page on Intels web site.  It can
 > be very cryptic if you get a no-name Triton Pentium mb and need to
 > upgrade the BIOS.

ASUS motherboards also has flash BIOS, and upgrades are available by FTP.

 > 	*Nakamich MBR-7
 > 	 7-Disk CD-ROM Changer (2X Speed)
 > 	 $149.99
 >
 > I've never heard about this company. If anyone knows this company or this
 > product, please let me know.

As far as I know, they're an audio equipment manufacturer. May be they
expanded their product line to the PC market, but at least their tape-decks
are of top quality.

-tomita.

 Alberto Tomita Junior     URL=http://www.ishiilab.dnj.ynu.ac.jp/~Alberto

 YOKOHAMA NATIONAL UNIVERSITY             tel: +81-45-335-1451  ext. 2906
 Div. of Electrical & Computer Eng.       fax: +81-45-338-1157
 156 Tokiwadai, Hodogaya-ku
 Yokohama 240 JAPAN                      home: +81-45-743-3680 (tel & fax)

 INTERNET: alberto@example.com             COMPUSERVE: 70410,67