Re: I'd like to know what hardware is the best for Linux and Windows 95

In article <Pine.3.88.9601010407.A662-0100000@example.com>,
Norihide Kise <s100234@example.com> wrote:
>	 Motherboards," "Endervor Motherboards," etc.. Also, what's meaning
>	 of "Tritron Chipsets?"

Intel makes a surprisingly large percentage of motherboards for Pentium
class machines.  Those built with the Triton chipset include support for
EDO RAM and DMA for the EIDE connectors.

>	*BIOS - (Should I get flash BIOS? Which maker is the best?)

Yes, a flash BIOS is a good idea.  If you get an Intel motherboard, you
will probably get an AMI BIOS customized by Intel.  Updates are freely
available from ftp.intel.com:/pub/bios  (I just updated the BIOS in my
Gateway (which uses an Intel motherboard) last week this way.)

>some significant price differences among ATI Mach 64 cards because of
>VRAM-based cards and DRAM-based card. Are DRAM-based cards good enough?

That was why I mentioned the DRAM-based ET4000/W32p card.  It has decent
performance at a low price.

>Do you think that it is necessary to have a 2X CD-ROM drive?

I think it is very useful to have a CD-ROM drive (of course, I am slightly
biased since I design them for a living :-).  Software installation of
giant Windows programs, Win95, OS/2, Linux, etc. are all *much* more
convenient from CD-ROM.  There are also some fun games. :-)

>Although it's small, I think that the NEC XV 14" monitor is good to buy,
>but I'd like to hear from anyone who disagree with me.

I would look around for a different company.  For the price you are quoting
you should be able to get a Mag 15" monitor.

Jim