Re: linux

    Jim> Where does one get the patch to remap the keyboard to
    Jim> Japanese (what's it called?), and is there a file somewhere

I assume you mean what Messy-DOG calls code page 932 or whatever (so
that shift-semicolon is "+", not ":"), not kana entry?  I don't know
any Japanese who use kana entry, even.  Anyway, I would assume that
you would find both in the JE ("Japanese Extensions") distribution.
If you can't find it on your CD-ROM, you can get it on any major Linux
distribution site (once you get FTP running).  [Personally, I'm a
touch-typist, more or less, and I generally run code page 437 (en_US)
even on Japanese Messy-DOG consoles.  Drives people watching me nuts,
which is a big bonus. :-]

    Jim> that tells you the name of each program and what it does? I
    Jim> can't seem to find the TCP/IP dial up PPP connection program.

The dialup program?  From which end?  If you want to dial into your
machine, you use getty or a variant.  Then you run the PPP program.
If you want to dial out, I forget how that works.  You start with any
comms program (seyon or minitel), though.  But you're going to need to
get several processes cooperating.  Look in /usr/doc/faq/howto for the
Net-2-HOWTO, and there may even be a PPP-HOWTO, although I don't have
it.

Note that networking programs probably live in /sbin or /usr/sbin, not
in /bin or /usr/bin.  Those should not be on your path unless you
habitually run as root in single-user mode.  You might also look in
the /etc/rc.d/ directory to look at the example startup scripts.
Startup scripts usually include the whole directory path in programs
so they're easier to find.

If you mean finding out about programs in general,
/usr/doc/faq/faq/MetaFAQ (FAQ#1: "There are so many FAQs.  Where do I
start?) is a good place to start.  Any Un*x primer (in this case, on
networking) will also be useful.  Finally, there's the LinuxDoc
project.  I don't know whether those docs come with Slackware or not.
I have them installed in /usr/doc/linuxdoc, but I did that
installation myself.  Seems like a logical place for them to be
though.

Of course, all this assumes that you have a live Linux file-system
available.  I assume the Slackware CD-ROM set provides that.

I would guess that Docs are in disk series "D" for "Doc".

--
                            Stephen J. Turnbull
Institute of Socio-Economic Planning                         Yaseppochi-Gumi

  "REAL Solutions to REAL Problems of REAL People in REAL Time.  REALLY."
  			         guffaw.