name lookups on remote hosts (inetd)

I'm having a lot of trouble with remote multi-homed hosts.  Something
somewhere in my Internet subsystem is screwed up, and when a
multi-homed host calls me, I often get a name/address mismatch, and
connections are refused.

Anybody know what's going on or how to fix it?  I get this problem
with several recent kernels, but I've got a rather old version of
Slackware for my internet demons and libc.a.  I guess I'll try
upgrading, but if anybody *knows* what's probably going on I'd love to
hear about it.

--
                            Stephen J. Turnbull
Institute of Socio-Economic Planning                         Yaseppochi-Gumi