Re: tlug-digest V1 #48

Sorry about the duplicates; once again I've been bitten by the
proximity of ^C^C and ^X^X in rmail mode and different-sized keyboards
fooling my fingers....

    Sam> Dear every one: I'm sorry to ask a nonsense question.  What
    Sam> is an MO?

MO == "magneto-optical" mass storage media.  Also called floptical, I
think (or is that something different? you rarely hear that term any
more).  Achieves high density by combining magnetic and optical
techniques.  Why this helps to do anything but increase the cost of
the hardware I don't know.  :-).  But it really gives CD-ROM-sized
storage on random-accessible removable rewritable media the physical
size of a CD-ROM.  The more common (and standardized) version gives
128 or 230MB on a "double-thick" 3.5" floppy-sized medium.  Very
common in Japan, although I don't know anyone who actually uses them,
but I know lots of pepole who have them.  The opposite of the floppy
tape drive here---those people I know who have them (1 == me) use them
religiously.  But my installation doesn't have great need for good
backups, we don't keep anything important, just social science
research, on our machines.  :-P  Other sites probably do use their
mass storage backup systems.

--
                            Stephen J. Turnbull
Institute of Socio-Economic Planning                         Yaseppochi-Gumi