Ghostscript Japanese fonts

Well, I dunnit.  Unfortunately, I won't be able to demonstrate by
remote control this Sunday---the University in its infinite wisdom has
decided to turn off all electricity from 8:00am tomorrow until 5:00pm
Sunday night.  I don't have a CD-ROM writer, so I don't think I want
to bring about 5MB of regular GS installation and 5MB of font (one
font, the small one!!)  on floppy....  I also don't know if you can do
it with the publically available Ghostscript---I'm using a recent
beta.  But I don't think it depends on any post-3.33 features,
although I'm fairly sure it cannot be done with GNU Ghostscript 2.6.1
(but nobody's using that, right?)

What can be done:
(1) convert the fonts to PFA using wftopfa.  This requires some
    effort; I may try to put together moderately robust scripts.
    Also, be careful.  I had a rogue version of wftopfa wandering
    around that barfed on the kanji.  Figuring out where I'd screwed
    up on that was the hardest part!  I don't know where it came from,
    maybe from an earlier attempt at the Wadalab fonts.  Or maybe it's
    just part of GS (I don't think so) or maybe there's some other
    such utility.
(2) Install into ghostscript.  Not difficult---decide where to put
    them, add a virtual font, and then add a few dozen lines to
    FontMap.  I'll make a skeleton fontmap.
(3) LaTeX (using Sun's Japanese TeX) some Japanese.
(4) Convert to PS (using Sun's or somebody's k2ps).  Edit to get the
    right fonts.
(5) Display using Ghostscript 3.49 (type 0 composite fonts and the
    specialization to Kanji are already incorporated; once you've
    fixed the fontmaps and the virtual font).
What can't be done (yet):
(1) Ghostview 1.5 barfs non-kanji all over its window.  Too bad.

All the necessary stuff can be found at

	       file://ftp.cs.wisc.edu/ghost/kanji.font/

Even if you've got them already, I strongly suggest getting the
patches.tar.gz, sym_6.tar.gz, and the wftopfa.c, especially the new
wftopfa.  The directions in USAGE.ghostscript.english are quite clear.

Steve

--
                            Stephen J. Turnbull
Institute of Socio-Economic Planning                         Yaseppochi-Gumi