Re: ELF as possible subject

Craig writes:

   Sorry for the third posting of the night.  Remember that
   a digest version of this mailing list exists.  The digest
   comes out once a night and has a table of contents by
   subject line listing.

Right.  I'm worried.  I have 20MB (19.9MB of it between the ^L and the
EOOH in RMAIL files ;-) of email left over from the quake, and you
think I'm gonna quail at three messages in one night?

   Anyway, since Rainer and Jim converted to ELF, I thought
   that we might discuss some things about ELF.  What
   are the real benefits of ELF?  Does anyone have an example
   shared library?  Is Perl really faster with dynamically
   loaded modules?  Has anyone gotten TkPerl to compile
   under Linux?

ELF sounds good to me; I'm months and months behind on all this tech-y
stuff.  Sept 24th also sounds good.

   Oh and by the way, has anyone managed to get GhostScript to
   display Japanese?  I think we may do some Japanese office

I haven't done it, but it looks straightforward.  I'll go for it next
week, I have to tweak my Ghostscript installations anyway....

   documentation in TeX and I am getting a little worried...
   It does work right?  dvips works okay right?

The kanji from the fonts display correctly, yes.  They're pretty.
Each font runs about 3MB gzipped, though.  I hope you've got lots and
lots of memory....  I haven't installed the font files as Postscript
fonts yet, they're just treated as ordinary PS files more or less in
the sample programs.

dvips?  Um, no, I don't think it will work.  That's why there are all
those dvi2ps, k2ps, etc programs running around.  However that could
be very old news.  I will check that also next week.

regards
Steve